Global Variables in R Packages
I know that global variables are from the Devil, but sometimes you just can’t get around them.
I’m building a small package for a client that relies on a data file. For various reasons that file is not part of the package and can reside in different locations on users’ machines. Furthermore there are users on both Windows and Linux machines.
I decided to set up a global variable to store the data file path and a function to modify it.
This is what my initial implementation looked like:
It seems perfectly reasonable. And, in fact, would work… were in not in a package. However, building the package and giving a try yielded an error.
While investigating the problem I learned about
unlockBinding(), which is good to know.
It turns out that you need to use an environment to get this to work. Here is the revised (working) code:
It’s slightly more verbose, but it works!